Imo Kenpi ( Super-Crispy Sweet Potatoes ) has always been one of my favorite things to snack on. They are a traditional Japanese snack and sort of like a hybrid between Sweet Potato Fried, Sweet Potato Chips and Dessert. You see the sugar crystals on the outside of the potatoes? They are sweet with just a tinge of saltiness to balance things out. And they are oh so crispy! YUM!
Makes 4 small servings
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- cooking oil for frying
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- Cut sweet potatoes into sticks.
- Soak in water for 10 minutes. Drain and dry well with paper towel.
- Put cooking oil in frying pan about 2 cm ( 1 inch ) deep.
- Add sweet potatoes into the cold oil.
- Turn on the heat to medium and cook until golden brown.
- Take potatoes out and drain on paper towel.
- Make the syrup by mixing together the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat,constantly stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Keep cooking and stirring until it turns to a syrup consistency.
- Turn heat off and add the potatoes into the syrup.
- Mix and combine well until the sugar mixture crystallizes around the potatoes.
Believe me they are quite addictive so I urge you to try these at home as soon as you can! They are super easy to make and worth the tiny effort. Seriously folks, these are that good!
As always subscribe to my newsletter if you haven't done so already. It's free and you even get a copy of my 10 Favorite Recipes so what's not there to like? Let me know what you thought of this recipe and don't forget to check out my video tutorial as well.
Thanks so much for reading and Happy Holidays everyone!
Twitter : https://twitter.com/smine27
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Tabieats
Pinterest : http://www.pinterest.com/smine27/
Instagram : http://instagram.com/smine27?ref=badge
Google Plus : https://plus.google.com/+ShinichiMine1/posts